Slice proteins and produce easily at home with our chopping boards at Harris Scarfe. Shop chopping boards now for your next meal prep.
88 Items found
Slice & Dice With Confidence With The Right Chopping Board
Essential kitchen utensils and gadgets aside, a good, sturdy chopping board is a must-have in any kitchen. Without one, trying to finely chop vegetables or meats can become a tedious or even dangerous task. At Harris Scarfe, we have a huge range of cutting boards to suit any food type, kitchen size or interior decorating style. Whether you're looking for a large chopping board, a plastic chopping board or a wooden chopping board to use as a cheese or charcuterie board, you can be sure to find the right match for your kitchen!
Why Is Having The Right Chopping Board Important?
Cutting boards come in a variety of materials, shapes and sizes, which all cater to different needs in the kitchen. It's a great idea to have a range of different boards to prevent cross-contamination when preparing food, as well as to protect your kitchen knives and your hands! Using an old or cracked chopping board can create an unwanted breeding ground for bacteria, and a warped or slippery board will be a hazard when it comes to accurately and safely wielding kitchen knives.
Chopping Boards FAQ
How to oil a chopping board
Oiling a wooden cutting or chopping board is a tried and tested way of extending its lifespan. The grain of wooden cutting boards has natural openings in the timber, which have the potential to absorb food waste and become targets for mould. Wood fibres may also dry out, leading to splintering or warping by trapping excess moisture. Oiling your board regularly can prevent these issues. Also known as seasoning your chopping board, oiling can be done in just a few easy steps:
- Select a mineral oil that's food safe, such as linseed oil or beeswax.
- Pour a few tablespoons of oil onto the top surface of your dry, clean cutting board
- With a soft lint-free cloth or paper towel, rub in the oil with a slow circular motion. Cover all surfaces of the board, including the end grains.
- With a fresh cloth, wipe away the excess oil and get it as dry as you can.
- Repeat steps 2-4.
- Air dry the board overnight on your dish rack and wipe it down one more time the following day. Make sure it feels completely dry before you use it.
How to clean a chopping board
To ensure your wooden or plastic chopping board stays clean and safe to use, simply wash by hand using liquid soap and a soft sponge. If you're preparing fish, meat or chicken, it's advisable to rinse and wash it immediately after use. For a deeper clean, a couple of teaspoons of bi-carb soda with the same amount of salt can be prepared into a naturally abrasive paste with a little bit of water. Use the paste to rub all over the board, then rinse thoroughly with hot water before drying. You can also use lemon juice to remove stubborn odours from your board or try a combination of bi-carb and vinegar left on the board for 10 minutes as a natural disinfectant.
Remember: Never wash your wooden boards in the dishwasher, as the hot and steamy environment will quickly lead to cracking and warping.
What is the best chopping board material?
When it comes to the best chopping board material it's important to factor in your intended end use - will you be using it regularly to prepare meat and veggies, or will you keep it aside for creating sumptuous grazing boards for dinner parties or evenings in?
- Plastic boards are easy to clean and can be placed in your dishwasher - a particular advantage for cutting boards used for meat, fish and poultry.
- Wooden boards (particularly those made from harder timbers such as acacia or bamboo) offer natural anti-microbial properties and make a gorgeous style statement on your kitchen bench. They're also kind to your knives by absorbing most of the impact from the blades without dulling them.
- Marble and glass boards look beautiful, but reserve these for cheese platters or charcuterie boards, as the hard surface will quickly damage your favourite kitchen knives.
For more handy tips and tricks, be sure to check out our informative chopping boards buying guide!
What Other Food Prep Essentials Can I Find At Harris Scarfe?
- Kitchen Knives & Knife Blocks: Pair your brand-new chopping boards with sharp and durable knives from Harris Scarfe's extensive range. We stock kitchen knives and kike blocks from trusted brands like Furi, Joseph Joseph, Victorinox and more!
- Utensils & Gadgets: Discover a great range of essential utensils in our range such as tongs, turners, ladles, graters, whisks and thermometers - just to name a few.
- Food Preparation Tools & Accessories: Up your culinary game with food prep accessories like mandolins, pasta machines, blow torches and pizza stones.
- Food Storage Containers: Organise your pantry and leftovers with ease with Harris Scarfe's selection of containers. Discover great space-saving ideas from brands including OXO, Decor and Pyrex!
Discover The Perfect Chopping Boards & Kitchen Necessities With Harris Scarfe
With in-store and online shopping options available at Harris Scarfe, it's easy to find all the right kitchen essentials for your home. With our easy-to-browse website, checking out with your purchases is simple, and you can choose from free 2-hour click & collect or home delivery for your order. Be sure to check out our Food Hub for some great inspiration for your kitchen, including delicious meal ideas and handy guides on finding the right tools and equipment. Our HS Friends members save with exclusive discounts and offers as well, so make sure you sign up today!