Graters & Zesters
Grate your ingredients easy and fast at home with our food graters at Harris Scarfe. Shop for food graters for your next home cook now.
66 Items found
Handheld, Box, Rotary, Electric: Shop Kitchen Graters and Zesters For Every Purpose at Harris Scarfe
Graters are an essential kitchen tool that can be used to shred, grate and slice food items. From cheese to vegetables to fruit, a good grater can make food preparation easier and quicker. If you're looking to add a little extra flavour and texture to your meals, the subtle impact of a finely grated ingredient to finish a meal can be astounding. Read on to learn about the different types of graters and how to clean and care for your new grater or zester. We also have a comprehensive food prep essentials buying guide available.
What kinds of graters and zesters are available at Harris Scarfe?
From cheese to citrus, grating can be a quick and easy way to enhance your dishes. However, with so many different options available on the market, it can be difficult to know which grater to choose for each particular job. We've outlined some of the most popular forms of graters and zesters that are available in the Harris Scarfe kitchen & dining range:
- Box Grater: Box graters are the most commonly used graters in households. They feature multiple sides with different-sized grating holes, making them perfect for shredding cheese, potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables. Box graters are also suitable for grating lemon zest and chocolate. They come in different sizes, from small handheld versions to larger ones designed to go over a bowl.
Tip: If you often julienne vegetables, also consider adding a mandoline slicer or spiraliser to your kitchen. A slicer will allow for chunkier cuts than a grater, perfect for throwing freshly sliced ingredients - that would otherwise be too thin if grated - straight into a slotted bowl such as a colander or salad spinner.
- Rotary Grater: A rotary grater is a small, handheld tool that is easy to use. You can effortlessly grate cheese, nuts, or chocolate with a simple twist of the handle. Rotary graters are particularly useful for creating fine shavings of hard cheeses such as parmesan, giving you a restaurant-like experience in the comfort of your own home.
- Citrus Zester or Microplane: Microplane graters are a popular handheld option for grating hard cheese, ginger and garlic. They are long, and narrow, and feature numerous small holes, producing a fine texture. They are also effective for grating nutmeg, cinnamon, and citrus zest. When using a microplane as a citrus zester, be sure to zest only the colourful outer layer of the fruit and avoid the white pith, which can be bitter.
- Electric Grater: Electric graters take the effort out of grating. They work by feeding food items into a rotating drum, which grates the food consistently. Electric graters are perfect for shredding large quantities of cheese or vegetables.
Graters vs. zesters vs. microplanes: what's the difference?
Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a grater, a zester and a microplane? Let's clarify the distinctions between these similar but different everyday kitchen tools:
- Grater: Graters come in various shapes and sizes, with multiple grating options. They are suitable for a wide range of ingredients, from vegetables to cheese, and can create both fine and coarse textures.
- Zester: A zester is a specific tool designed for removing the outer zest or peel of citrus fruits. It creates fine, thread-like strips of zest, adding a burst of flavour to dishes without including the bitter pith.
- Microplane: Often used interchangeably with zesters, microplanes are a specialised branded tool that creates ultra-fine shavings of ingredients. They excel at zesting citrus and processing garlic, but can also grate hard cheeses, chocolate, and spices such as nutmeg into a fine powder.
How to clean & care for your grater
Maintaining your grater is essential for ensuring its longevity and sanitary use. One key tip to remember is to clean your grater immediately after use. Use a brush to remove any stuck-on food debris, and then give it a quick rinse under the tap. To prevent rust, make sure your grater is completely dry before storing it. It is also crucial to store your grater in a safe place, away from other kitchen tools that may damage the sharp edges. With proper maintenance, your grater will last for years, providing you with grated cheese and vegetables when you need them
What is the best grater for cheese?
This depends on the type of cheese you are using! For grating cheese such as cheddar or mozzarella for your pizza, a box grater provides stability and efficiency. When grating hard cheese such as pecorino or parmigiano reggiano, you may want a fine texture which calls for a handheld paddle grater.
Shop The Best Brands For Graters & Zesters At Harris Scarfe
Graters are an essential kitchenware gadget. Whether you prefer box graters, microplane graters, rotary graters, or electric graters, finding the right one to meet your needs is easy with help from Harris Scarfe. Visit us online or in-store today and discover quality stainless steel graters from trusted brands such as Microplane, OXO and Joseph Joseph. Shop great brands at great prices across the entire kitchen and dining category at Harris Scarfe. For more great ideas and inspiration for the kitchen, refer to our Food Hub today.