Miguel’s Honey - Glazed Christmas Ham
I really recommend using a good-quality, free-range ham for this recipe. Free-range hams have a higher fat content, more moisture and better flavour. If price is an issue, go for quality over quantity and choose a smaller two kilogram one.
When it comes to the glaze, you need to give it a lot of love and keep glazing the ham constantly as it cooks to achieve that really shiny look. It's all about that baste, 'bout that baste, no treble. You don't need to stick to this traditional glaze either - try being adventurous with Asian flavours like the sweet chilli variation I've given below. Ham works with everything! In fact, you can make this dish all year round. If you have ten people coming over, cook a ham! Make it Christmas every day.
Serves: 12 - 14 people
- 1 large (4 kg) smoked leg ham, skin on (or 2 small 2 kg hams)
- cloves, for presentation
- 90 g (? cup) seeded mustard, plus extra to serve
- 90 g (? cup) dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons hot English mustard, plus extra to serve
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 300 g honey
- 2 ½ tablespoons chicken stock 80 g (? cup) brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
Skin and peel the ham, leaving some fat on the leg. Using a sharp knife, score the ham in a criss-cross pattern, then push in one clove at the join of each score. Place the ham leg in a large roasting tin.
Combine the mustards, Worcestershire sauce, honey, chicken stock and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the glaze has reduced and thickened.
Brush some of the glaze over the ham, then place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Brush with more glaze three times as it bakes until the ham is golden and crispy.
Pour the glaze from the roasting tin into a jug and brush over the ham immediately before carving. Serve with a range of mustards.
For a sweet chilli-glazed ham, combine 80 ml (? cup) sweet chilli sauce, 1 lemongrass stalk, white part pounded and finely chopped, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and the juice of
1 lime in a bowl. Garnish with coriander, basil and mint leaves mixed with 1 chopped red chilli, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a good handful of crispy fried shallots.
HS Cooking Club ‘Feast’ Cooking book by Miguel Maestre for Smith +Nobel by Miguel Maestre Prize Pack COMPETITION
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Commencement Date: on Monday 6th December 2021 at 12AM AEDT
Closing Date: Monday 13th December 2021 at 11.59PM AEDT.
Who can enter (Entrant)
All current Australian residents aged 18 years or over who are following @Harrisscarfe and @thecrazybull on Instagram
How to enter
- Be following Harris Scarfe (@Harrisscarfe) and Miguel Maestre (@thecrazybull)
- Tag a friend in the Harris Scarfe post promoting the competition (the more tags, the more chances you have of winning)
- Winner picked at random
Five winners will each win a ‘FEAST’ cookbook by Miguel Maestre valued at $39.99 each
Total value of prize pool = $199.95
Prize Selection Method
Winners picked at random
Initial Prize Selection
After 11.00AM AEDT Tuesday the 14th December 2021 at Level 4, 111 Cecil Street, South Melbourne, Victoria 3205.
Unclaimed Prize Selection
If a winner has not come forth to claim a prize/s within 3 months of the Initial Prize Selection, an unclaimed prize selection will be conducted at Anisimoff Legal (as above) at 11.00AM AEDT Monday the 14th March 2021 in accordance with any State or Territory Regulations.
Harris Scarfe Pty Ltd (ABN 83 095 018 803)
Level 4, 111 Cecil Street, South Melbourne, Vic 3205, Australia
- By entering this competition, and by attempting to do so, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, and expressly gives the consents referred to in these Terms and Conditions. Any person who attempts to enter this competition shall be referred to in these Terms and Conditions as an “entrant”, irrespective of whether any competition entry is accepted by the Promoter.
- The above table forms part of these Terms and Conditions and contains details concerning when, who and how to enter; the time, place & method of prize selection; prize details; and who the promoter is and any permit details. Products required to be purchased for entry (if any) will not always be available at every store or via the shop at home service or online store and any rainchecks, lay by purchases or payments will not be counted for entry purposes.
- The Promoter, its associated agencies and companies, and officeholders, management, employees and contractors of the Promoter and its associated agencies and companies and the immediate families of such employees are ineligible to win any prize.
- The Promoter’s decisions in relation to any aspect of this competition (including in relation to prize selections) is final and binding on each person who enters and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner/s will be notified where possible via social media on the day of the relevant prize selection, as far as practicable within two business days and no more than five business days after the date of the prize selection.
- The winner/s consents to their name, town/suburb of residence, social media handle (if relevant) and a photo of themselves being published by the Promoter including, but not limited to, being published on the Promoter’s Internet site, social media pages, in their stores and in marketing material for an unlimited time and without remuneration as a condition of acceptance of the prize. Further information will be published only with the permission of the winner.
- In the event the competition involves submitting content of any kind (including but not limited to photos, artwork, videos or audio recordings) (collectively referred to herein as “Content”), entrants grant the Promoter an irrevocable, perpetual, sub-licensable, royalty free, worldwide licence to use, copy, publish, reproduce, broadcast, edit, reduce to writing, create derivative works from, incorporate into any form and distribute the Content without compensation to the Entrant. Entrants warrant that the Content is their original work and does not violate any law or infringe any third party’s rights.
- The prize/s cannot be exchanged for any other prize, and except in the case of cash prizes, cannot be exchanged or redeemed for cash. Prize/s are not transferable, changeable or exchangeable. Any images associated with the prize/s are for promotional purposes only. Prizes comprising gift cards/vouchers are subject to any terms and conditions related to those gift cards/vouchers and might have an expiry date or redemption conditions such as a requirement that the entire voucher must be redeemed in one transaction or the remaining sum will be forfeited.
- Any change in value occurring between the publishing date and the date the prize is redeemed is not the responsibility of the Promoter. If a prize or any element of a prize is unavailable for any reason, the Promoter, at all times acting reasonably, reserves the right to substitute that prize or element with another item of equal or higher value as determined by the Promoter (acting reasonably), subject to the approval of any relevant authority if required.
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any eligible entrant (and to prohibit that entrant from resubmitting an entry into the competition) where the Promoter believes that the entry or the entry process has been tampered with or where any entry has been submitted otherwise than in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. The Promoter may also disqualify any entrant who acts in a disruptive manner or who acts with intent or effect of annoying, abusing, threatening or harassing any other person or who behaves in a manner which may diminish the good name or reputation of the Promoter or any of its related bodies corporate or the agencies or companies associated with this competition, or who engages in conduct which is contrary to law or is otherwise inappropriate.
- Entries must not include any content that contravenes any law, infringes the rights of any person or is obscene, offensive, potentially defamatory, discriminatory, indecent, objectionable or inappropriate (which includes any content involving nudity, malice, excessive violence or obscene language).
- If for any reason (including due to tampering or interference) this competition is not capable of running as planned, subject to the approval of those authorities which have issued permits for the conduct of this competition, the Promoter, at all times acting reasonably, reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition. In the event of war, terrorism, state of emergency or disaster, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition or suspend or modify a prize, subject to any written directions from a relevant regulatory authority.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any lost, late, misdirected entries, illegible entries (including lost, stolen, forged, defaced or damaged entries) or entries deemed ineligible due to incorrect entrant information. The Promoter will not accept entries which are incomplete, illegible, or which are generated by computers or other automated means.
- The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries. The Promoter is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by the Promoter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participants or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this competition.
- The Promoter will take all necessary steps to ensure that entries are properly recorded and stored, but will accept no liability if an entry is not recorded or is lost. If a Membership card/number is not produced at the time of purchase, then that purchase will not be credited against the Member’s accumulated total for the purposes of entering the competition. If the P.O.S System fails or if the Membership number is recorded incorrectly, every effort will be made to record the data not captured at the time of the purchase, where practical.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or personal injury suffered or sustained arising from or in connection with the competition, any omission to enter a person into the competition, acceptance of the prize or the prize itself, except for liability which cannot be excluded by law. The winner releases the Promoter, its related bodies corporate, affiliates, officers, agents, employees and suppliers (the “Released Parties”) from all liability, loss and damage of any kind arising out of or in connection with the acceptance of, and participation in, any prize. Without limiting the foregoing, the Released Parties will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with the prize except for liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case liability is limited to the minimum amount allowable by law).
- The Promoter is not liable for any tax implications arising from any prize winnings. Independent financial advice should be sought by the prize winner if necessary. Where this competition involves, for GST purposes, supplies being made for non-monetary consideration, entrants will follow the Australian Taxation Office’s stated view that were the parties are at arm’s length goods and services exchanged are of equal GST inclusive market values.
- The competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook or Instagram. Entrants are providing their information to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram. Each entrant agrees to completely release Facebook and Instagram from any and all liability in connection with this competition. Any questions, comments or complaints about this competition must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram.
- The Promoter collects and uses personal information ("PI") in order to conduct the competition and may, for this purpose, disclose such PI to third parties, including but not limited to agents, contractors, service providers, prize suppliers and, as required, to any applicable regulatory authorities. By entering this competition and providing your PI, you agree to such disclosure. Although you may choose not to provide certain information, please be aware that this may affect your eligibility to win the competition.
- All PI will be held at the office of the Promoter or on IT systems controlled by the Promoter, in respect of which reasonable security arrangements are in place to prevent unauthorised access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of Victoria, Australia. Entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Victoria, Australia.