Alastair’s Grilled Hanger Steak with Chimichurri and Eggplant Yoghurt
Cooking Time: 30 mins for the steak. 1 hour for the eggplant yoghurt (includes cooling time).
1 bunch coriander, washed + additional to garnish
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, washed + additional to garnish
½ bunch shallots, trimmed
½ lemons, zest and juice
1 tbs Dijon mustard
200ml extra virgin olive oil + additional for drizzling
½ red onion, finely diced
Sea salt and freshly milled pepper
600g hangar steak, trimmed
1 small eggplant
100g Greek yoghurt
Generous pinch sumac
1. Separate herbs and strew on preheated BBQ with green shallots. Turn frequently until they are all wilted and charred.
2. Remove and allow to cool then coarsely chop and combine with lemon zest, juice, mustard, olive oil and onion and season to taste. Refrigerate until required.
3. Make sure BBQ is hot then drizzle steak with oil, season and cook for 4 minutes turning frequently. Set on a cake rack and cover with foil for 5 minutes.
4. Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to infuse.
THE EGGPLANT YOGHURT
5. Grill the eggplant on BBQ, turning frequently, until blackened and wilted.
6. Cool completely then remove most but not all of the skin.
7. Blend with yoghurt and sumac. Season to taste with lemon and salt
8. To serve, spread dressing onto plates, carve steak and arrange on top and finish with eggplant yoghurt and scatter with reserved herbs.