Corned Beef is an absolute favourite! For a short while, there was concern that Gen Y & Gen X would not be able to pass on the recipe of this classic comfort food to the next generation, but thankfully it is making a comeback.
Harris Scarfe’s ever popular Tuffcast cookwear make the perfect Corned Beef. Grab a 7.4Lt Casserole pot in your favorite hue and get cracking on this delicious classic.
Serves 4-6 // Prep & Cook time – 1Hr, 20 Mins
**Corned beef can be prepared a day ahead. Simply refrigerate, covered, in cooking liquid overnight.
- 1.5kg piece of beef corned silverside
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup (60ml) malt vinegar
- ¼ cup (50g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 8 black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, quartered
- 1 large (180g) carrot, halved
- 1 trimmed (150g) celery stick, chopped coarsely
- Place the beef in your Tuffcast pot with the bay leaves, vinegar, sugar, pepper cloves, onion, carrot and celery. Cover completely with cold water; bring to the boil and simmer covered, over a low heat for 1 hour. Stand for 1 hour, then remove beef from the liquid, discard liquid and vegetables.
- Serve with buttered mash, green beans, carrot and a traditional hot mustard. Yum!