You’d think this would be simple but there is so much to consider.
With so many options, Russell Hobbs makes choosing your next kettle easy.
- A good family size kettle has a capacity of 1.7 litres.
- The higher the wattage, the more powerful it is and the quicker it will reach boil point – anything more than 2000 watts is a great start.
- Look for models with a Simmer switch – they are ideal for quick reboil
- Whisper Quiet with Boiltec is a fantastic feature if you want a quiet kettle
- Filters should be removable, washable and replaceable. This ensures that lime scale stays in the kettle & not in your coffee.
- A concealed element makes descaling your kettle easy, while also dispersing the heat to increase the speed at which water boils.
- Russell Hobbs backs its kettles with a 2 year warranty – re-inforcing the message that Russel Hobbs is a brand you know and a brand you can trust.
Scale build up can discolour the inside of your kettle, reducing the visibility through water windows and contributing to increased noise from your kettle. Limescale is generally white chalk-like in colour, but can sometimes look like rust. Scale can be caused from the build up of calcium, minerals, lime and natural water contaminants found in everyone’s water. Scale build up is not preventable, but can be maintained with regular cleaning (at least monthly).
Place 1 tbs of citric acid inside the kettle and fill the kettle to the max line. Boil the kettle and leave it to sit for 10 minutes, rinse out and repeat if necessary.