Skip to content Skip to navigation

About Us

CELEBRATING 164 YEARS.

The history of Harris Scarfe began in South Australia in 1849 where Mr George Peter Harris & Mr John C Lanyon formed a partnership and laid the foundations for their business Lanyon & Harris.

Lanyon & Harris opened their first premises in Hindley Street in 1850 in a large brick warehouse that operated as an ironmongery wholesaler. After 5 years of trading, Lanyon returned home to England leaving Harris as the sole owner of the business and the opportunity to change the name to Geo. P. Harris.

1857 saw George Harris welcome George Scarfe and Richard Smith as major partners and so began Geo. P. Harris Scarfe & Co. In 1877, the company purchased the Grenfell Street address that it still occupies today in South Australia.

The business continued to grow and in 1920 the company was rebranded to Harris Scarfe, the name we all know it as today. 2002 saw Harris Scarfe receive a new lease of life with a new logo, new signage and major upgrades to all stores.

Today Harris Scarfe occupies 50 stores, and counting, across South Australia, Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales, ACT & Queensland and employs over 2000 staff.

HS, as it is often referred to today, now appeals to a broad group of customers looking for great homewares, manchester and men's and women's apparel. The Harris Scarfe stores have evolved to a more contemporary "look and feel" they are easier to shop and the range of great products and brands continues to grow with many now exclusive to HS.

Discovering value at Harris Scarfe is and will always be the key foundation to keeping our customers coming back, just as they have for the last 160 years.

With a proud Australian heritage and renowned for our extensive catalogue program, Harris Scarfe still remains as one of Australia's leading retailers.

Pop into one of our 50 stores, and counting, to discover the value for yourself. 

 

Back to top